Prior to joining Gunderson, Palmer, Nelson & Ashmore, LLP, David served as a law clerk for United States District Court Judge Richard H. Battey. He is licensed to practice law in the federal and state courts of South Dakota.
David is currently a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) and was previously a Commissioner with the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL) and chaired the Governor’s Task Force on Trust Administration for several years. David’s involvement with the South Dakota Bar Association includes the Real Property Probate and Trust Section, the Business Law Committee, the Law School Committee, and the Bench-Bar Liaison Committee.
David is a devoted public servant. He spent 10 years as a Representative in the South Dakota House of Representatives including four years as House Majority Leader. Other civic engagements include: Elevate Rapid City (Chair), the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Center for Alumni Relations and Advancement (Executive Committee), the South Dakota Board of Medical Examiners (Board Member); the State Workforce Advisory Council (Board Member), Junior Achievement of South Dakota (Board Member), The Greater Rapid City Economic Development Partnership (Chair); the Rapid City Area Chamber of Commerce (Board Member), Big Brother/Big Sister of the Black Hills (Board Member), and the Northern Plains Eye Institute (Board Member).
David was named the 2018 Exceptional Lawyer of the Year by the Pennington County Bar Association, Legislator of the Year by the South Dakota Wildlife Federation (2013), and the 2012 Domestic Violence Victim’s Champion by Working Against Violence, Inc. He has been recognized by Chamber’s USA as a Leading Lawyer for Business since 2007, Best Lawyers in America since 2012, and by Super Lawyers since 2011.
In his free time David enjoys coaching his kids, fly-fishing, hunting, and playing golf.
- Law School: University of South Dakota School of Law J.D., salutatorian
- Undergraduate School: Dartmouth College, B.A. Government
Admitted to the Bar
- State of South Dakota - 1997
- U.S. District Court - District of South Dakota
- Law Clerk, Chief United States District Judge Richard H. Battey; 1997–1999
- Legal Instructor, National American University; 1998–1999
- Legal Extern, United States District Judge James Ideman, Los Angeles, CA; 1995
- Pennington County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of South Dakota; Bench-Bar Liaison Committee, Business Law Committee, Real Property Probate and Trust Section
- ACREL Fellowship
- Young Lawyers Section; Board of Directors
- Uniform Laws Commission
- Elevate Rapid City; Board of Directors, Chairman
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce; Board of Directors
- Governor’s Trust Task Force: Board of Directors; Chairman
- South Dakota Board of Medical Examiners; Board of Directors
- State Workforce Advisory Council; Board of Directors
- Governor’s Office of Economic Development; REDI Board of Directors
- Rapid City Economic Development Partnership; Board of Directors, Chairman
- Junior Achievement of South Dakota; Board of Directors
- Junior Achievement of Rapid City; Board of Directors, Chair
- Big Brother, Big Sister of the Black Hills; Board of Directors
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Foundation; Executive Committee, Board of Directors
- Northern Plains Eye Foundation; Board of Directors
Honors and Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Administrative/Regulatory Law, Commercial & Construction Litigation, and Relate Law, 2011–present
- Super Lawyers “Great Plains Super Lawyers,” 2017
- Pennington County Bar “Exceptional Lawyer of the Year,” 2018
- Best Lawyers in America’s "Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate Litigation," 2014–2015
- South Dakota Wildlife Federation’s “Legislator of the Year,” 2013
- Working Against Violence, Inc.’s “Domestic Violence Victims’ Champion,” 2012
- Case Note Author, 42 South Dakota Law Review 508—1997