Sara Frankenstein is a partner of Gunderson, Palmer, Nelson & Ashmore, LLP. She practices in the areas of Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Employment Law, Voting Rights, Personal Injury and Insurance Defense. Sara is the city attorney for two towns, and defends cities, counties and school boards when they are sued.
Sara earned her B.A. and J.D. from the University of South Dakota. She served as Law Clerk to Honorable Richard H. Battey, U.S. District Court, South Dakota in 2001 and 2002.
Sara has successfully argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals en banc (all eleven judges), successfully briefed a case to the United States Supreme Court, and won the smoking ban election law trial which was the lead South Dakota news story for 2009.
Sara serves on the board of directors for the Rapid City Main Street Square, the Miss South Dakota Scholarship board, is the executive director of the Miss Rapid City Scholarship Pageant, and formerly on the South Dakota GOP Executive Board. Sara enjoys singing and other involvement in her church and community. She and her husband Lew have three children.
- 2016 Great Plains Super Lawyers’ List
- 2017 Great Plains Super Lawyers list as a Top Rated Legislative & Governmental Affairs Attorney
- State Bar of South Dakota
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association
- South Dakota State Bar - 2002
- Law School
University of South Dakota, J.D. - 2001
University of South Dakota, B.A. - 1997
- Law Clerk to Hon. Richard H. Battey. Judge, U.S. District Court, South Dakota - 2001-2002