Pat serves on the American Bar Association Board of Governors; is past President of the South Dakota State Bar Association, and the South Dakota Bar Foundation; a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (past South Dakota State Chair); and a Fellow in the American College of Real Estate Lawyers. He is listed among the Best Lawyers in America, Great Plains Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA’s High Net Worth, and America's leading Lawyers for Business in the categories of Corporate/Commercial Law and Real Estate Law, and Private Wealth Law.
Through his service to the State Bar Association, and from his appointment to the Governor's Task Force on Trust Reform and Administration upon its inception in 1997, Pat has been actively involved in drafting and supporting the enactment of trust and business legislation in the South Dakota Legislature.
Pat’s desire to give back to his profession and the state is demonstrated by being the founder of Project Rural Practice, an initiative to restock rural main streets with attorneys and improve access to justice in rural areas. Pat especially enjoys the connection to the Black Hills and the Mount Rushmore National Memorial provided by his lifetime membership in the Mount Rushmore Society.
- Law School: University of South Dakota, J.D.
- Undergraduate School: University of South Dakota, B.S.
Admitted to the Bar
- State of South Dakota
- United States District Court
- United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel; Fellow, 2002–present; State Chair-Elect–2014
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers; Fellow, 2014–present
- Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions and Real Estate; 2003–present
- Ranked as Band 1 in South Dakota Private Wealth Law by Chambers and Partners
- Best Lawyers in America in Corporate Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, Non-Profit/Charities Law, and Real Estate Law, 2003–present
- Super Lawyers’ “Great Plains Super Lawyers,” 2007–present
- Governor's Task Force on Trust Administration Review and Reform; Executive Appointment, 1997 (its inception)–present
- State Bar of South Dakota; President, 2013
- The Mt. Rushmore Society
- South Dakota Bar Foundation; Director
- American Bar Association
- LifeScape Foundation (formerly Children's Care Foundation); Board of Directors, 2010–present
- Youth & Family Services, Inc.; Board of Directors, 2000–present
- Youth & Family Services Foundation; Charter Organizer & Director, 2004–present
- Western South Dakota Catholic Foundation; Director, 1996–present
- Goetzinger Enterprises, Ltd., a family corporation; Officer, director, and shareholder
- Family Business Council; Member, 1994–present
- South Dakota 4-H Foundation; Trustee, 1998–2007
- University of South Dakota Foundation; Trustee, 1998–2007
- South Dakota Contributing Editor to the Council on State Taxation (COST), Washington, D.C.; 1995–present
- South Dakota Chapter Author of The Property Tax Deskbook, an ABA
- Section of Taxation publication; 1994–present
- South Dakota Chapter Author of State Limited Liability Company & Partnership Laws, an ABA Section of Business Law Publication; 2004–2007
- South Dakota Contributing Reporter to the Real Property Tax Symposium, a semi-annual report of recent developments in real property tax law distributed nationwide; 1995–present
- 2017 South Dakota Trust Law Update